What is Glossa?
Glossa is an intuitive, versatile program that helps you learn vocabulary. On the iPhone, it offers flashcards and simple tests. It is suitable for all ages and levels.
The apps name by the way – Glossa – stems from the ancient greek word for language - γλῶσσα -, its motto
... καὶ ἤρξαντο λαλεῖν ἑτέραις γλώσσαις ...was taken from the Acts of the Apostle, Chapter 2, Verse 4: "And they began to speak in different tongues." The Christian source may not be misunderstood: The motto is not at all meant as a missionary statement, but rather as a reminder, that learning foreign languages is and has always been one of the most important prerequisites for and origins of the exchange between cultures, in the ancient world as well as in our modern times.
Why should I use Glossa?
Learning and then continuously repeating important words and their meaning is one of the crucial requirements for the acquisition of language skills. This applies to our own native language as well as to any foreign one.
But while it is easy for us, to strengthen and expand our vocabulary in our native tongue by daily communication, this task becomes much more difficult when it comes to foreign languages. If we want to learn a new language, we must therefore find means to continuously learn new words and strengthen our knowledge by repetition.
Glossa was designed exactly as such a means:
- You can save words for multiple languages and thus learn the vocabulary of as many languages as you like from, say, french to mandarin.
- Using your input Glossa creates flashcards, which allow you to memorize the words you need to learn, and to evaluate your success.
- Simple tests help you confirm that your knowledge of the vocabulary is actually as good, as you thought it would be.
- Using filters you can define, which of the possibly many words in a language you want to learn.
- Without further work on your part Glossa will reverse the direction, in which the words are being presented or tested, e.g . French – English turns into English – French by just a few taps of your finger.
And it probably goes without saying that with Glossa you carry your personal dictionary with you at all times at no extra cost.